Monday 4 August 2014



The ‘I’ safety tips for children of all ages.

  • I know my full name, my parent's names, and our address and phone number.
  • I never put my name on my clothes, jewellry, caps or belongings where people can see it .
  • I tell my parents about things that happen to me that make me feel scared, uncomfortable or sad.
  • I know the difference between a good secret and a bad secret. A good secret is fun to keep, like a surprise party. A bad secret feels bad to keep, and telling my parents about it doesn’t make me a “tattle tale.”
  • Safe Adults: If I get lost in a mall or market place, I look for a policeman or uncle aunty with children of my size and ask them to call on my parents number , which I have learnt.
  • Strangers: I know that a stranger is anyone I don’t know well.
Even people I recognize - like the mailman, the grocery store uncle or the newspaper guy - are strangers, and that someone can be a stranger even if they look nice or know my name. I never tell strangers my name or where I live and even my parents phone numbers.
  • Kitchen safety: I don’t cook or use cooking/fire devices while I am alone at home. I ensure parents leave food for me before leaving me alone.
  • Intimate: every time I go out to a friend’s house I inform parents about it. Even if it is for 10 minutes.
  • Friends system: I use the “GROUP play” and avoid walking or playing alone outside and in public places.
  • Walking: When I walk down the street, I always face traffic so that I can see if someone stops their car near me.
I never take short cuts through deserted areas like creeks or vacant lots.
I should not take lifts from anyone, even if I am getting late.
·        Say thank you: Whenever a stranger offers me something to eat I politely say thank you can leave as soon as possible to safer adults.
  • Yell NO, Run and Tell: I know that yelling and running are better safety ideas than trying to hide. If a stranger approaches me, I will YELL “No,” RUN to where there are safe adults, and TELL an adult.
  • Safe Distance: I know to stay a safe distance (approximately three arm-lengths) away from strangers and stranger’s cars, even if a stranger seems nice. I know to run in the direction opposite from the direction the stranger’s car is traveling.
  • Raise alarm: It is okay to yell and fight; anything to get the stranger to let go. Yelling is the most important thing I can do, and to yell, “No!” “Help!” or “Fire!” to get an adult’s attention.
  • Home Safety: I keep all the doors and windows locked when I am home alone.
  • Doorbell Safety: I answer the door by asking, “Who is it?” I never say that I am alone, and never open the door when I am alone, unless it is someone my parents told me to expect and let in. When I am alone, I always talk through the door and say, “My parents are busy now, I’ll tell them you stopped by.” If the person does not leave, I know to call “Parents immediately.”
  • Medicine safety: I know I should not take medicine without parents’ permission.

1 comment: